I was a little crafty today. I love my 3DS XL, but it lacks something… The 3DS XL only comes in 3 colors, and well… It’s boring. I love the blue one, but it lacks some “unique-ness.” As the title would suggest, I just made a custom made skin that you can use too. It is pretty awesome.
Things you will need
- A device that can access the Internet and has Flash.
- A 3DS XL, although you can do the same on another DS system.
- A home, or at least, an address you can ship it to.
- Some extra decorations, such as a sound jack plug, a lanyard, etc.
I found these pictures at DeviantArt, on Zelda. They are mostly Skyward Sword related. Also, there is a LOT of blue, so a blue 3DS XL will look better.
To add, since I am not distributing nor getting any profit from this, this is fair to use. Do not copy this artwork and sell it. Do not post it on any site unless you credit the original artist and property of the franchise.
These pictures are used to make the skin itself. Also, you will notice that the the last picture is very high resolution. There is a reason for that. The second picture also has a watermark on the bottom left. You can include that, as proof that you didn’t credit it as yours. You can exclude that, as long as you comply with the above paragraph.
Two services to use, but which one?
There are two major skin producers. That is Gelaskins and DecalGirl. Both of them are very similar, but there are differences in the skins produced.
- DecalGirl is located in the US, while Gelaskins are located in Canada.
- DecalGirl has the options of both Glossy and Satin Matte, while Gelaskins are only Glossy.
- Gelaskins uses 3M vinyl, while DecalGirl uses “motor-grade vinyl”. Both feature air channels, no residue when removed, and are of similar build quality.
- Gelaskins is more precise, having individual holes for the speakers, while DecalGirl just has one big circle for each of the speakers.
- DecalGirl does not cover the sides of the device. Gelaskins has some of the sides covered.
- DecalGirl has the two hinge holds covered, while Gelaskins does not.
It really doesn’t matter. What does matter is the choice of Glossy or Matte. I prefer matte, so I will go DecalGirl. However, if you live in Canada and like gloss, go Gelaskins.
What the final product will look like.
If you are lazy, you can buy it off from DecalGirl from this link: Here!. Please test if this works, because I don’t know if it works on other people’s computers.
So yeah. If you notice, the third picture doesn’t appear at all… Or does it? You may see that the sky is used as the inside. I tried to use the first picture on the inside, but it didn’t look go in my tastes. Also, I am in love with the blue skies in SKyward Sword. It is super vibrant and stands out. That’s why. With the high-resolution, I can zoom in without any pixelation.
So what do you think? I think it is pretty awesome. These artists are literally the best. These artwork are SO AMAZING. It really brings out the inner fanboy in me, and I would love to have a poster with the Link and Zelda one.
Thanks for reading. Please like, share, and tweet! Support those artists on DeviantArt! They deserve it! I also thank Nintendo for making such a great franchise. See you guys tomorrow! Bye!